this started out as a collection of quotes, and grew spontaneously, like my love for the Lady herself
- One of the main ways she transgresses the normal bounds of the pop icon is by hyperbolizing and making monstrous the extreme sexuality of that role. She adopts the cone-shaped bras that Madonna used to accentuate her feminine sexuality and power, but has them shoot sparks and flames. She makes horrific the figure of the pop starlet by wearing outfits that distort, exaggerate, and sharpen those sexualized contours of the female body. She wears an ecto-skeleton outfit while caged in her “Bad Romance” video, highlighting the various prisons, both bodily and cultural, that trap the female figure. Her “Paparazzi” centerpiece is a riveting dance number in which the crippled Gaga transcends & incorporates her handicaps by making elegantly jerky movement of broken limbs, a wheelchair, and crutches. Her performance continually transgresses and functions by transgressing, which allows Lady Gaga to be both whimsical and serious, sexy and monstrous, and meaningless and meaningful at the same time.
- Source: Lady Gaga as mythological Trickster
dj: any female who doesn't have an inclination of being bi or curious or whatever, they see you and they go, i would make out with her. why is that?
gaga: well, that's nice. that's because i'm on a quest to flip all of you.
- Source: Yeats <3
- Gone are the days when if you're against the war you go and protest on the street. Protesting doesn't stop wars anymore. Going to your gay pride rally is nice -- it makes you feel good, but unfortunately we don't live in that era anymore. The only way you can create social change is to insert yourself into the machine.
Right. And cast yourself as a monkey wrench.
- Source: Heather Cassils: Lady Gaga's Prison Yard Girlfriend
- Isn't it interesting that the two artists she embodies or echoes in this prison segment are both the former King and current Queen of pop?! .... Michael Jackson and Madonna are always trying to express themselves or confess themselves out of the various prisons society has put them in (gender, racial, psychological, etc.), or perceive themselves as being caught in a prison of sorts, whereas Gaga is not a figure trying to escape a prison. She creates her identity and performance, rather than releasing it. And she's not making any fucking excuses for it.
Harq: Also, a black woman set whitey free.
- Source: Lady Gaga's "Telephone" - Part 1
- By occupying a traditionally masculine space (which is complemented by her continual adoption of stereotypical masculine characteristics such as violence, anger, independence) she performs the masculine. However, she still emphasizes her feminine form through her costumes. To the point of exaggeration most of the time. The grotesque image that she constructs removes the possibility of her becoming an object of the male gaze, and the combination of both femininity masculinity highlights the performative nature of gender in general.
- Source: Part 2
- Taylor, look at Lady Gaga in that bathtub and tell me that you’re the one in the bleachers
- Source: Why Taylor Swift Offends Little Monsters, Feminists, and Weirdos*
* i actually love & will defend taylor swift to the end ok but i think this article has v. important points to make about lady gaga & the contrasts between their versions of performance art. See also, ESSENTIALS.
- Doesn’t that make you think of a political ad? “I’m Lady Gaga, and I approve of this incredible display of gayness.” She’d then touch the director on each shoulder with her Disco Stick, and he would henceforth be known as Sir Sergio Ceron of the Haus of Gaga.
- Source: Lady Gaga Makes Gayest Video in the History of Music Videos
* a second opinion**
** Strange silence: voices from women's prisons.
- Taylor/Lady GaGa, Imma let you finish. ****HELLO THIS IS AMAZING.
- Gaga/Beyonce, Kinda Busy.
eta: - gaga_beyonce!
- The Doggie Gaga Project
- music video screencaps
- Je veux ton cookie.