- "defenestrate" is the act of throwing someone or something out a window. If one is going to defenestrate, one need not approach the throwing-out-of-window with the intent of causing death; it still counts!
- Max Planck made up quantum physics in 1900 in order to make his math work. He didn't really believe his own theory about tiny sub-packets of light particles that Einstein would later prove to be true; he thought the whole thing was sort of silly and mocked Einstein for basing Relativity Theories around it, even though it's that discovery for which he won the Nobel Prize.
- antimatter is TERRIFYING AND COULD DESTROY THE UNIVERSE. it's like a literal alternate universe, how amazing.
- dark matter is the hazy grey stuff out there that provides the extra mass needed to hold the universe together. Without dark matter, no one's sure how the galaxy can counteract the force of gravity and not just tear apart into space.
- in order to believe string theory you have to believe in the existence of nine dimensional planes, some of which are so tiny we will never be able to prove that they exist. The "string" is a one-dimensional form which is folded and compressed so tightly through the other dimensions that it becomes compacted into an infinitesimally small space, where it creates particles by vibrating like a violin string. lol i probably just completely messed that up. string theory is a subset of M theory, which adds yet *another* dimension into the mix, and no one knows what the "M" stands for because the guy who named it won't tell them. Awesome. :D
- the Higgs-Boson particle is considered the "god particle" because it's believed to be the particle that gives all the other particles their mass--their substance. there's also another subatomic particle called the graviton whose existence is only theoretical at this point--believed to e the particle that transmits gravitational pull to all the other particles. uh. sub-atomic particles (particle zoo!) are basically split into fermions, which are uh, stuff, and uh...bosons? which transmit forces that act upon the fermions. and obviously quarks and protons and electrons and neutrons.
- you can calculate changing distance over long periods by adding it up, or by drawing it out and then finding the area of the graph.
- Gabourey Sidibe is AWESOME. also that she's in love with Lance Bass. See "Gabourey Sidibe is AWESOME."
"I don't really wanna see a movie that will change my life. I like my life."
SO. DELIGHTFUL. read her full interview here. omfg you guys.
"I feel like a model. It justifies everyone in my life who told me I wouldn't be anything until I lost weight. It justifies that little girl who cried because she didn't think she could be in front of the camera. And it's for other girls who feel like they can't do this or that and feel like they're not pretty and not worthy of having their photo taken."
"I hate yoga so much. Like, if yoga was a person, I'd stab them."
"I love Iman. She hugged me and was like, 'I love you,' and I was like, 'I love you!'
- I also learned about the existence of Shingai Shoniwa, bassist and lead singer for the Noisettes. My life is already so much better for this discovery, holy crap.
oh my god she is amazing. Shingai Shoniwa, I think this might be love at first sight. *______*