I'm not sure how handy these recs are, because really they're just repeats from my Delicious account, but I guess I'll keep doing it (for lack of anything better to do) until I get bored or no one reads them, whichever comes first. Be that as it may, EVERYTHING I READ THIS WEEK WAS AWESOME. EVERYTHING. So, although you've probably all read everything here by now, here's the straight-up list of shit I loved, in no particular order:
- So, I'm actually secretly glad that I waited til tonight to make these recs, because tonight eleveninches reminded us all why she's one of the best writers in this fandom or any fandom, and posted ten thousand words of Arthur and Eames engaging in the dorkiest, most redundant game of blackmail-you-for-sex ever to exist ever. It's amazing. It's adorable. It's intimate and sweet and hysterical and totally hot, and it has all the deadpan droll horrified Cobb moments any fan could ask for. Also, it has a kitten.
How Do You Talk To A Point Man
- And since I'm reccing Erin, I'd be completely remiss if I didn't point out the giant epic (totally plotty, whatever) PWP she posted on Bina's meme: I fail at the P part of PWP, in which Arthur and Eames snail mail each other into a blithering frenzy dskj;fd. So epic. so fucking hilarious. So gorgeously long and fun and hot, did I mention hot. So hot.
- Oh, and then she wrote fic where Cobb actually helps Eames cope with Arthur instead of warning him away, and I think EZ/Fandom!Cobb may be my new OTP, and oh, my god, I have missed sharing a fandom with this girl so much.
- BUT THAT'S NOT ALL! because she also wrote life-changingly epic team karaoke fic, featuring Ariadne/Yusuf and Arthur/Eames, lady gaga and a korean love motel. WHAT MORE DO YOU NEED FROM LIFE? SERIOUSLY?
- Porn! Be My Thrill aka FISTING fic from hermette, and holy crap have you ever read anything so hot! certainly i've never read fic with this particular kink that managed to be so completely intimate and infuse such passion and desperate longing between the characters. it was, dare i say it, ~symbolic~ fisting. and it's SO GOOD :D
- Um. You guys all know about sickletongue, right? And you've seen her stunning and incredible Mafia AU Arthur/Eames fanart, right?!?!?! (psst! there's a bigger version here for all ya'll who are greedy for high-res like me.)
- skyvehicle's Roadtrip 'Verse got a *fantastic* update this week, in Part three: panic bells, it's red alert. And she promptly
got that song stuck in my head for the next fortnightrocked this series up into one of my favorites in this fandom. Seriously, she started us off with this unbelievably tense Eurotrip and then gave us equally shaky but smoking hot sexual tension, and in this update she gives us fistfights and miscommunication and EVERYTHING VIOLENT AND HOT AND SNARKY AND INTENSE that we love about Arthur and Eames, and i just, ahhh, I can't wait for the next installment in the series, but I could be satisfied with this trilogy alone, because it's so fantastic. <3
- Really, there's no need to even tell you all to read tequilideas's Fashion Week fic, yes? I mean. You've all read this because it's the HOTTEST MOST HILARIOUS WONDERFUL SUIT PORN IN THE UNIVERSE, correct? THOUGHT SO.
- Oh my god and then there was even more catboy fic, and jibrailis' roundup just keeps growing and growing and it's so wonderful, what in the WORLD IS GOING ON. And if you're still following her post then you've already read these, but if not, then you definitely don't want to miss chibi_lurrel's Inception/Loveless fusion. Even if you're not a fan of the catboy meme, this fic is so subtle and charming it's just delightful all by itself. MROW. oh my god and then there's lifeasacloud's KITTENFIC CONTRIBUTION, and i just. went to pieces. Not to mention pointwoman's gorgeous genderswapped catgirl!Arthur. And then she followed up with more, here! I don't even have to tell you that this is why we're hot. :D
- Three words, fandom. Care. Bear. Wedding. I am the last person on earth to read angelgazing's fic, and I suppose that the only explanation is because I hate beautiful things, including puppies, children and stuffed animals, and Arthur kissing Eames on his stupid fuzzy cheek. But it's okay, because reading this fic is the actual equivalent of an actual care bear stare. It's like a long line of Funshine Eameses lining up to glow at you. I THINK MY SKIN ACTUALLY STARTED TO SPARKLE LIKE A CULLENBEAR WHEN I READ THIS. in short, you should read this if you love beautiful things, because your life will be better for it. and you should read it if you
are two_if_by_seahate beautiful things, because your rotten and decrepit heart will expand like freeze-dried potatoes. Just add love. <3
- Stamina by apiphile. This fic is so refreshing, because Apiphile is all about them being men--specifically men who are shit at communication but all about getting to the porn, and this is hilarious, hot, and engaging on multiple levels.
- Every time atomicskull writes anything I do a private dance of joy, because whatever it is is going to blow my mind, and this fic, "lady of war," is no exception. It's Philippa, grown and taking on her mother's challenges, and finding herself, and moving straight into the unknown with a little help from people who've been there before; and it's terrifying and exhilarating, and exactly what you want to read.
- this whole post but especially the last sketch by sandrocks/onthecount is SO ENDLESSLY DELIGHTFUL. Arthur's smirk and Eames' self-satisfied expression just say SO MUCH. I think this is one of my favorite depictions of them ever. <33333
- I read 2 longer epics by mami_san this week that everyone else has probably already read; but I'm slow, so bear with me. They're two separate fics in two separate universes, but I read them back-to-back and really enjoyed both.
One is The Perfect Recall Series, which starts with a story called Black Jack.
The other is the Military backstory 'verse, The Music Makers.
I think both of these fics are really interesting and ambitious, and flawed in different ways; but taken as a whole I'm pretty impressed, holy crap. There's a fascinating military history in "Music Makers" that posits that Arthur and Eames were basically marooned together after the Somnacin Project was abruptly scrapped; and the whole slow buildup of their relationship is very nicely done. And there's some plot stuff in the Perfect Recall 'verse that I don't think makes technical sense in terms of how dreams work, and some things I feel could have been far better developed--but overall I just devoured this fic and enjoyed almost every bit of it: the detailed job descriptions, the awesome UST, and the meticulous worldbuilding.
I especially think Black Jack is the best of the fics and can stand alone as an excellent fic all on its own; so if any of you want to read a long, smoldering UST-filled Arthur/Eames fic, do give this fic a try. And then if you want to keep reading, know that you have a whole long plotty story ahead of you to enjoy. :D
- gyzym gave us not one, not two, but three amazing installments of the Domestic Verse since my last update: take the long way home, life long local foreigner, and having let go forever the fallacy of ever being alone.
- so two_if_by_sea went on an "anything but Arthur/Eames" kick, and I can't even regret the loss, because seriously. seriously. Arthur/Saito, Arthur is Saito's beautifully sulky, inexorably hot, kept man. just read this shit and marvel. And her contribution led to weatherfront writing more of the same, and oh my god, kept man!Arthur really is as hot as they keep telling me he is.
- (this link is not work safe.
(if this link *is* work safe, where you work, ARE THEY HIRING?)UM. UM. UM. UM. innueneko, weatherfront, and jibrailis tear the roof off the place, basically.
- AND SPEAKING OF WORK PRODUCTIVITY: the best fanart ever about what's *actually* inside Arthur's moleskine. :D
- nami86 gave us the world's hottest Arthur/Ariadne fanart, and I've been looking at this all week and it never gets less gorgeous. <3 Also check out her Arthur/Ariadne/Eames sandwich, mmmmmmmm yes.
- dkaj;da okay, i don't really have like. fics of the week or anything, BUT IF I DID, THIS WOULD BE MY ~DRUMROLL~ FIC OF THE WEEK!!!
It's amazing, it's color-coded, it's ~specially formatted~, it features cute little pixellated fawns, it comes with its own glossary of terms and definitions, IT'S BASICALLY AN ANONYMOUS CHATROOM FIC, ONE OF MY ALL TIME FAVORITE FIC TROPES EVER, and it's, oh, yeah, an Arthur/Eames WoW fic. AND IT'S SO AMAZING. I HAD NO IDEA WHAT WAS GOING ON AND I WAS LIKE "OH MY GOD THIS IS THE GREATEST THING I HAVE EVER READ PLEASE NEVER STOP." ALSO, [Mordeci-Dreadmaul] TOTALLY SHIPS THEM. JUST SAYING.
And!!!! omfg now there's adorable omake art by red_rahl to make it even more inconceivably perfect. I just. HOW CAN ANYONE HATE THIS FANDOM, YOU GUYS, IT'S THE MOST AMAZING PLACE EVER EVER <3333333
- So Cathy and I were talking a while back about what it must be like to be a random projection, just going about your business, and all of a sudden you're COMMITTING ACTS OF VANDALISM AND VIOLENCE AND YOU DON'T EVEN KNOW WHY. so then I prompted that for the kink meme: and it got the most wonderful, thoughtful, intelligent fill I could ever have asked for. Unaware projections in love. please read it and tell the author how amazing they are. ♥
- another older fill that i've somehow missed til now, which is a shame because it's wonderful: Going South by Anonymous. It's ostensibly about surviving international temperatures in great suits, but it's really about how Arthur and Eames learn each other, casually and sweetly, over time. i loved Arthur so much in this, not repressed or stodgy or anything except casual and confident and patient, and I loved the dynamic between them, how real and quiet and comfortable it was, and i LOVED the crazy jobs in the background, and the way they were watching and waiting each other out, all the time. Just. lovely.
- loobeeinthesky drew Arthur/Eames, and it's awesome.
- jibrailis gave us one of the most wonderful Ariadne/Yusuf fics I've yet to read for this fandom, The End of Science. I love this pairing, and this is so, so fierce and quiet and awesome.
- This quick and dirty Arthur/Mal meme fill by Anonymous is absolutely everything I love about this fandom in under 500 words. Fabulous.
- AND YOU GUYS. months ago chibi_lurrel wrote the most fucking phenomenal Arthur/Eames -> Arthur/Robert fic and stashed it away on her LJ, and I didn't find it til now, and oh my god, my mind was blown just like it always is by everything she writes. BUT SERIOUSLY HAVE YOU READ THIS? WHAT THE HELL ARE YOU WAITING FOR, OH MY GOD. oh my god. Infornography. READ THIS FIC. *beats things*
- gyzym wrote Don't Feed Me, Seymour, which actually has nothing to do with Little Shop of Horrors and everything to do with Arthur and Eames being pants at communication. I read this fic while I was at work and laughed for like TEN MINUTES. OUT LOUD. it was the best day ever.
- you guys remember earlier when i made a post about a few Inception fandom Guys & Dolls-related fics, yes? Well, amazingly, i have more to add! because of all wondrous things that wonder, dybji has written an inverse Guys and Dolls AU: The World-Wide Weakness, in which Arthur is Adelaide, and Eames is Nathan Detroit, and it's so marvelous that if I were a bell I'd be ringing.
- I don't know anything about this artist, other than that they are from the Japanese side of fandom, but I do know that this portrait of Eames with his hand on Arthur's cheek is one of the loveliest pieces of fanart I've ever seen. ♥
- I FUCKING LOVE THIS FIC SO MUCH. last time i recced fics I recced addandsubtract's hysterical bear trap fic. Well, she's written a sequel / parallel flip side to the same, and it takes everything hilarious and light about the first fic and shifts it into something just a little deeper, wiser, and more unique. If the first fic was bear-trap!Eames, this one might be called mental-trap!Arthur. And if the first fic was all about Arthur saving Eames from certain danger, well, this fic is all about Eames saving Arthur from himself. It's brilliantly considered and so well-written, and Arthur is amazing. with a rifle or a gun. Read it, read it now. (and obviously read the bear-trap fic too, because, uh, BEAR TRAPS. what other excuse do you even need.)
- so, believe it or not, my fluff meme's
walking on airstill going strong at 2900 comments, holy crap. And people keep adding to it, as you can see for yourself! You may find fics you haven't read yet, so feel free to poke around! :D
That said, one of my favorite recent fills is this subdued, lovely Arthur/Eames ficlet by cobweb_diamond. Arthur and Eames are in Monte Carlo, and in love.
- Another reason I am glad I waited til later to do these recs is because yesterday amazingly_me posted the world's greatest political AU, and idek honestly why I'm linking this because you've all already read it a dozen times over by now if you know what's good for you. I love what she brings to her AUs in this fandom. She reminds me a lot of Pru, with her invigorated writing style, her penchant for snappy dialogue, and distilled moments of conflict and emotion, fueled by love and raw energy that just glue you to your seat. It's wonderful. I hope she keeps writing for us forever.
- Inception fandom, you guys are unfailingly lovely and encouraging, and you give each other good things with boundless energy. So, to honor your tremendous giving spirit, I feel there is no better rec I can leave you with than this fic where the team has a snowball fight, by towel_master.
A few statistics, for fun:
- The fluff meme has a ridiculous 2883 comments in just under 19 days.
- Yesterday I tagged my 900th Inception link on my delicious account.
- That's not counting the 375 Inception fics I've saved privately, the 200 inception fics I've saved as duplicate urls, and the 289 Inception fics that I still have tagged to read.
Thank you, fandom, for staying so busy, and keeping me on my toes. :D
Until next time, lovely fandom! ♥