Courant says making this post will take me forever, but i only have an hour before it's no longer Independence Day here, so let's see if I can give it a shot.
So, hi! I am back! :D You might have noticed that I've been gone for a while! Specifically since January. This is the longest single amount of time I've gone without regularly being on and updating livejournal since I joined LJ, which is actually ten years ago this month. (wow!) I initially said I'd be gone until the beginning of June, but then June hit and with it came total and utter upheaval, which meant that I pushed it back til the end of June, and then til--well, til now.
Breaking down my year so far, it basically looks like this:
- January - went on hiatus from LJ, promptly broke hiatus by posting for Blog for Japan
- February - learned to play three and a half chords on my guitar, Rex Stout; sang a lot, played very badly.
- March - got ridiculously sick with the world's worst sinus infection + cold + strep throat + probably some other stuff, went to like 10 doctors, and spent two months thinking i was actually going blind (omfg so scary, i couldn't see!!!!!!!) before Lurrel and some people on twitter went, 'duh, use a Neti pot' and bam, problem solved.
- April - i don't even remember what happened in April. I told off my coworker in front of the whole office and stormed out of work early at one point. Sadly, that was a big highlight for me. dfkl;jasd.
- May - Hikago day! :D Posted a few guest posts for Manga Bookshelf in honor of Hikaru no Go. I also started blogging for The Mary Sue, which is awesome, except that I haven't had much of a chance to post anything since June hit with all its mayhem.
- June: okay so in June,
* The company I worked for was SOLD to an independent entrepreneur, who announced major changes and put us all to work doing research on our company stats and matrices and all kinds of things, and it was crazy and exciting
* I went to Bonnaroo (with my mom, don't get too excited--the jury is out on whether going to Bonnaroo with your parent actually makes you the MOST hipster of all hipsters, or just a total nerd. At one point my mom turned to me and gasped, "are you here ironically?!" I told her only partially.)
BUT THE POINT IS: BONNAROO. The list of all the bands and artists we saw while we were there, plus an overly long description, is ( below the trusty lj-cut!Collapse )
- so I came back from Bonnaroo still buzzing with everything, and it was back to more work work work, and then:
* my position within the company was eliminated (along with everyone in our department) so that the new owner could change the job title and description and cut our salaries by a HUGE amount. Like, huge. And the owner had legitimate and valid and important reasons for doing this, and he really wanted me to stay on in the new role.
But I felt like I'd given this company the last three and a half years of my best work, and only in the last month had it really been seen as the important and intelligent work it was, which was very nice validation on the one hand, but just too little too late on the other.
* said goodbye to Virginia, and specifically to my gorgeous apartment, turned in my severance form, found an apartment, rented a van, packed up all my stuff (with the gracious assistance of chez myrafur), and did what I've been wanting to do ever since I left Bloomington--namely, move back.
By "move back" i mean, I spent 2 crazy days driving a 20-foot diesel rig crammed with too much stuff, hauling my car over MOUNTAINS, STEEP AND CRAGGY MOUNTAINS, and RICKETY NARROW BRIDGES, and it was terrifying. terrifying! but i did it.
The crazy thing about June is that I'd arbitrarily picked "end of june" as my end-of hiatus. But then i got laid off and my apartment lease ended at the same time, in the same week even, and I had literally less than a week to decide what to do and whether to stay or go, and it was so whirlwind that I haven't really had a chance to digest what I've done.
But I'm back in Bloomington, and this feels like exactly where I belong, at least for now. I have too much unfinished here. More importantly, I have plans. :D
In fandom business, in the last 6 months I have: a) remained in love with Inception; b) read all eight hundred acts of Homestuck, which is just brain-breakingly fabulous; c) mainlined all seasons of Mad Men, which I need to rant at you all about at some point, and d) fallen in love with Project Runway, and Tim Gunn, and Tim Gunn's poor celibate broken heart.
I say "fallen in love with Project Runway" but really i just mean Seasons 1 and 2 of Project Runway. and THERE IS NO FIC FOR MY FAVORITE PAIRING. life. eta: oh hey, wait, that is actually not true--there is fic, sweet, hot Daniel/Nick fic!!!!!!, and it is by none other than our lovely recrudescence! :D :D :D
Anyway, while driving over all the mountains and fearing for my life and clutching my steering wheel and muttering "DON'T LOOK DOWN, OH MY GOD" to myself, I re-cast Harry Potter with the stars of Project Runway. Don't even front, you know this is brilliant.
Harry - Daniel Vosovic <3 <3 <3
Ron - Nick Verreos (this is a Harry/Ron fic, just to be clear)
Hermione - Kara Sang <33333333333!
The Weasley Twins - Santino and Jay
Draco - Christian, of course
Luna - Oolie!
Fleur - Austin! :D
Dumbledore - Tim Gunn!!!!
McGonagall - Laura the Architect
Umbridge - Wendy
Hagrid - Chris March! :D
And then I got stuck trying to figure out who Heidi Klum would be. WHO WOULD HEIDI KLUM BE, YOU GUYS? eta: omg bennet_7 is totally right, Heidi is totally the Sorting Hat! :DDDDDD
Also to come in the future of this journal (which I'm writing here before I forget): YA rants, rants about Mad Men, and Southland, and probably Project Runway, and maybe even actual fanfic now that I can tear my head away from my job for the first time in three years. OH GOD I'M SO HAPPY TO BE BACK. <3
(and i made it with four minutes to spare! happy July 4th to me!)