This is a slightly revised (shortened) version of a letter I sent to Max Media president Eric Mastel this morning.
- Mr. Mastel,
- Kung Pao FM - the "official website".
(Note that the evidence on the website of Chinese pop artists like Faye Wong was not actually what was being played on the radio station. Everyone I talked to who heard the station over the weekend says that, like me, they heard only instrumental music with no accreditation and no DJ-ing.)
- Virginia Pilot Article from 4/24/09 about the switch: "Radio station WXMM flips from rock to ... Chinese music?"
- 4/27/09 Pilot article about the (possible) publicity stunt: "WXMM cuts Chinese music for something 'Hot' "
- blog article from 4/27/09 including the "tongue-in-cheek" press release apologizing for the format switch: "Kung Pao gets chopped for Hot hits"
- Eric Mastel is the President of the Radio Division. His email is firstname.lastname@example.org
- The company phone number is: 757-437-9800
- The radio station's phone number is (757) 473-1005
Since I moved to Virginia in June I have been a frequent listener of both 100.5 and 92.9 FM radio stations. Coming back from a trip to DC on Sunday night, I flipped my radio to 100.5 FM, where I was unexpectedly treated to the most hideously racist programming I have ever heard.
It's one thing to program a joke transition over to "classic Chinese hits" for the weekend. It is completely another to turn that joke into one long excuse to fill the airwaves with racist stereotypes and blatant cultural appropriation. The music itself was watered-down, inauthentic Westernized derivatives of Asian sounds. Then when the break arrived, instead of actual musical credits or a real musical program with DJs discussing the music, there was just a station promo:
"Made in China - exclusively for Hampton Roads!"
( Collapse )
So, yeah. It's been half a day and I still haven't heard anything back from them, so screw waiting. I am contacting MANAA; is there anyone else that I should contact about this?
News Links about the programming (I have yet to find any direct mention of the content):
Contact Info for Max Media: