arboretum: what the hell people, he's not a rock star, he's a Go pro
bookshop: i love that people honestly think that white suits and a red sports car are STYLIN' MOVES
arboretum: ROFL I KNOW
bookshop: and not just INSANE GEEK TASTE TAKEN TO HORRID UNCHECKED EXTREMES
arboretum: I KNOW I KNOW I KNOW
bookshop: THE MAN OWNS FISH
arboretum: GOD EXACTLY THAT'S ALL HE OWNS
bookshop: well he also is a PIMP
bookshop: so you know, he owns an escort club and a line of high-end hookers
arboretum: duhhh. everyone who drives a red sports car owns an escort club and a line of high-end hookers.
arboretum: that's what red sports cars MEAN
I have been biting back the Hikago bug all month long, but I just can't fight it. It's one week shy of a year since my Top 5 Meme (my favorite LJ post ever), and a few months shy of 3 years since I first watched Hikago, and my love for this show has only grown over time. I want to fly a flag out my window that says THIS IS MY FAVORITE THING ON EARTH.
So, I started to make a new Hikago meme, but that led to making a quick intro as a catch-up for anyone new reading this. Which is when I realized that I had made 3 separate Hikago pimp posts over the years and they all pretty much sucked. SO I wound up massively overhauling them all and putting them all together. The result?
Sam: i'm atari-ing in ur go, moving to yose~
Aja: tengenital sex.
Aren't you blown away yet by how
It's so ~*Epic*~ it deserves its own mini-top 5 list about how Epic it is!!!!!!
EPIC BOARD GAMES.
If they were not underage, this series would have included an illegal gay Japanese wedding, and it would have been attended by the entire Go Institute and covered by large media outlets, and then Hikaru and Akira would have been like screw this, we're going to Hawaii, we already have the shirts, like they did in sutlers' fic, and then they would have ELOPED and spent their ENTIRE HONEYMOON INDOORS HAVING GO. YEAH.tl__dr: Dude, I love how they are the Brangelina of the Go world. NOBODY EVER STOPS TALKING ABOUT THEM. Everybody around them works so hard to set them up! "WOW, MAYBE THEY REALLY ARE RIVALS!" "GOSH, IF SHINDOU IS TOUYA'S RIVAL, THE GO WORLD WILL NEVER BE THE SAME!" "SHINDOU, I THINK TOUYA WAS LOOKING AT YOU IN A RIVALISH WAY, I JUST WANTED YOU TO KNOW THAT. HEY HOW DOES THAT MAKE YOU FEEL?" THEY ARE EVERYONE'S FAVORITE DYSFUNCTIONAL PUBLIC ITEM.
(Note Hikaru usually does not look this dorky, even though he is.)
In all seriousness: Hikago canon is an epic slashfic without the slash. It's got canonical acknowledgment without being fanservice: it deals straightforwardly with its pairing and does not bother to ask whether this is gay, slashy, subtextual, or metaphoric, because love is love, and Hikaru and Akira are soulmates. Even in fandom, which is usually so divisive, everyone seems to agree that even if you don't pair them together, the last thing you ever want to do is split them apart. ♥
4. The manga is fast-paced, identical to the anime, and incredibly easy to re-read, and is on my Desert Island shortlist of favorite books of all time.
It's seriously like a beautiful modernized fairy tale about a board game and the people who play it. And I realize I haven't actually told you what it's about beyond "gay boys and ghosts and board games," but that's because it's TOO GOOD TO SPOIL. SERIOUSLY.
5. It is tied with Nobuta as the single most moving depiction of human connections, and the ways in which we touch each other throughout our lives and beyond, that I've ever read/seen in my life - with a deep complexity and thick layers of meaning that you can return to again and again. And if you loved Nobuta wo Produce, you will ultimately love Hikago for all the exact same reasons.
ETAAbout Board Games: So you're thinking, 'it's about a board game....' and I'm saying "BUT IT'S NOT REALLY, IT'S OKAY!" And it isn't really about Go. I'm really not saying that anything in this show trumps the game, because it doesn't. i LOVE GO. I love their love for Go. It's amazing and epic and incredible and metaphoric. I'm not in *any way* diminishing Go in this series. NEVER. but if you're thinking 'how could a show about a board game ever be interesting,' then this is me telling you that it's NOT ABOUT THE BOARD GAME. not at ALL. it is about human relationships and amazing characters and the BEST PLOT EVER. EVER. EVER. and it is about Go. But the other stuff will carry you along, whether or not you know/like/care about the game. Most fans only learn how to play Go after they start watching, if they learn at all. The game itself is ultimately secondary to (and a profound metaphor for) the story itself.
-->>Hikaru no Go.<<--
Do you want to play me now, or just "someday"?
watch the entire (subbed) series online at Hulu.com
Buy the subbed manga from VIZ
buy the beautiful 2009 re-release of the manga (raw) from YesAsia
sam: KL;ASDJSDGLK;AJDF NOW I WANT A NEW YM NAME. CRYING
Aja: SAME. NEW GO-RELATED LJS!
sam: AKLSJ;F GOD YES
sam: lk;safLFNLDSNLKNSDLAKKLFNKLNLKNSDF touyas-ugly-clothes-dont-matter-once-hik
IMPORTANT DISCLAIMER: DO NOT PASS GO (lol Go), DO NOT READ FIC IF:
1. My fic recs in my Memories.
2. toko's Frankenpost, which basically hits the high points and covers all aspects of the fandom
3. the Hikago tag on delicious. Which you should all be contributing to, because
4. best_of_hikago - sadly no longer updated, but if you need to read ravenously without a terribly high quality filter, it is the place to go. i love that journal, i wish it were still active. :(
5. issen4 - she recs more frequently than anybody else in the fandom. Not always as vetted for quality as toko's recs, but very reliable and routinely updated.
1. blind_go - the archives will have a ton of stuff of variable quality; kifu_archive - for blind_go fans between and during rounds
2. ihikago - for podficcing and love!
3. hikarunogo - the general Hikago fan community
4. igo_yaoi - for Hikago slash fic
5. hikago_djs - for Hikago doujinshi. SO MUCH DOUJINSHI. *_*
1. Sensei's Library, the mecca of Go resources for fandom and everyone else.
2. ontogenesis's Photo-reference posts about the Go Institute itself. AWESOME STUFF.
3. Flonne's List of Resources with great Go guides in the comments also.
4. The Akira/Hikaru Ship Manifesto by elektra3. Needs more picspam. :(
5. svz_insanity's Akira/Hikaru Overview. There's the picspam! note: contains series spoilers!
1. thehoyden - best Akira/Hikaru in the fandom. ♥
2. mousapelli - best Akira/Hikaru/Go in the fandom. ♥
3. toko - for multi-pairings and shameless Waya love and "Adulthood" **Note: insane angst warning here, I mean it** eta: IF YOU ARE NEW TO FANDOM DON'T READ THIS FIC FIRST I MEAN IT I WILL BRAIN YOU WITH A GOKE.
4. flonnebonne for gen, humor, and fantastic character insights - and don't miss the Go God Rap!
5. arboretum, who will kill me for putting her on this list, but I basically can't resist, because even the things she writes and hides away are minor miracles, and
1. "Rashomon" by mirabellawotr
2. "A Brief Abridged History of Ko Yong Ha" by chaineddove
3. Better Days (WIP) by murinae
4. The Rumor Mill by harukami. I always return to this fic. It's just charming and fun and the ultimate fandom classic.
5. Left-Handed Go by Mooncalf.
1. "Two Hands (But Not of Go)"
2. "Love In an Elevator" by Tsaiko :D :D :D
3. One For The Road / One For My Baby, by search_soleil
4. Between Floors by mousapelli.
5. A Study of Motion and Public Indecency by zoesque. WHAT IT TOTALLY COUNTS.
1. The first Takeshi Obata artbook: The Sai Book, uploaded by ladysorka here;
2. The 2nd Obata Artbook: the Hikago portion of Blanc et Noir -photo album here. (With thanks to Eddy for uploading them for me to start!)
3. zoesque's Hikago Japanese fanart directory.
4. Aarinfantasy's Hikaru no Go forum - but be warned NONE of the art here tends to be credited, so do the right thing when it comes to artist rights, ok? svz_insanity also has a large repository of art, some of which is credited, if you want to use it as a reference.
5. Deviant Art.
TOP 5 THINGS I'LL KICK MYSELF LATER FOR NOT PUTTING IN THIS POST:
1. Touya Akira is pretty much my favorite fictional character ever. :( He just breaks my heart and I can't even tell you why I love him so much. He's just so very real to me, and I adore him.
2. You don't have to know the first thing about Go to like this story or follow it easily because it's not about the board game at all - it's about the characters, and the pursuit of a goal and a shared dream. It's amazing. :(
3. Oh! My fics are In my memories if anyone wants to read them - they're also tagged under "fic" and "hikago" on my lj.
4. There's not a whole lot of meta for this fandom, but I do think there's a bit either in or linked from my journal under the hikago tag, or memoried under my Hikago discussion post.
5. That the Hikago fandom is basically the nicest and most fun and sweeet and generally kind and gracious fandom I've ever been in. Everyone and everything about it is just lovely, down to the last lurker and the last stone in the goke. I love you all v. much.
P.S. Everyone please right now go look at this picture and comment with your thoughts on Touya's growth and development. as a player. of Go.
P.P.S. Will everyone please tell kishmet why she should watch this show right now? SHE THINKS I HAVEN'T PIMPED IT HARD ENOUGH, SO I AM TURNING IT OVER TO YOU GUYS.
p.p.s to toko: YES I AM SHUT UP